Working together to keep the system fair03/05/2017
Since beginning operation in 2014, The G: has carried more than 20 million passengers. Our customer service staff in that time have checked millions of tickets. For the most part, our passengers have purchased or validated their tickets correctly, but we here at The G: just wanted to remind everyone how to pay your fare correctly to keep our system fair.
Having the intention to pay is not the same as paying, and it’s not fair to everyone else.
You wouldn’t expect a fast-food place to give you food for free – just because you’ve maxed your credit card.
Failing to touch on correctly with your go card, is not paying. Even if you have funds on your go card an incorrect touch could mean you haven’t paid for that trip.
Having money in your account but not transferring that money to your phone bill, still counts as not paying your phone bill.
Forgetting to touch on, but having money on your card is still not paying.
Returning on a paper ticket is also not paying (they are only valid for one way trips, valid for a maximum of two hours)
Doing the right thing is easy. As easy as 1, 2, 3.
For a go card
Ride The G: easy as 1, 2 ,3.
1. Touch on at the platform before you travel (if you’re not sure, check the status of your go card on the ticket machine).
2. Touch off at the end of your trip. (if you’re not sure if you have touched off correctly, check the status of your go card or Gold Coat go explore card at the fare machine on the station.
3. Top up your go card (Remember your go card needs credit on it before you travel). Or better still, sign up for auto top-up so you never forget, or top up online, at a ticket machine or from a retailer.
For a paper ticket
Ride The G: easy as 1, 2, 3.
1. Select ‘single’ if travelling alone, ‘group’ if you’re travelling with one or more people (select how many of each class; adult, child, concession).
2. Select your destination. (The tram only travels in zone 5. Make sure 5 is selected on both lines of zone numbers).
3. Get ready to ride (You don’t need to validate your ticket. Hold on to it while you’re travelling on the tram).
For a Gold Coast go explore card
Ride The G: easy as 1, 2, 3.
1. Reload your Gold Coast go explore card by selecting ‘Add Pass’ from the ticket machine and follow the prompts. You can also reload at Gold Coast 7-Elevens, selected retailers or on board Gold Coast buses.
2. Touch on with your Gold Coast go explore card at a ticket reader on the platform before you travel.
3. Touch off with your Gold Coast go explore card at a ticket reader at the end of each trip.
Whilst you travel on The G: you may be asked to show your ticket to a member of staff. Authorised Officers include G:link Customer Service Officers, Senior Network Officers or Queensland Police Officers. Each of these officers have the power to request to see your ticket, check validity of concession entitlements, issue warnings and/or fines. It’s all part of the way that we all work together to keep the system fair.
We all pay a fare to keep the system fair.